July 08, 2005

Sparkplug #11

2005 will certainly go down in moto-history as the year that the two-stoke died. Even though the writing was clearly on the wall as early as 2003, this year the evidence is overwhelming, particularly in the 125 class. The fact that even the name of the division will soon be changed to reflect the takeover by the 250c.c. four-strokes is yet another nail in the coffin of the oil-burners. So what will happen to the tiddlers?

There have been some great suggestions offered, most notably by Racer X's Davey Coombs, to form a new, two-stroke-only class for up-and-coming supercross racers. While I am in favor of such an idea, that's not the subject I want to tackle in this week's Sparkplug. Instead, I want to bid a fond farewell to the machine that arguably invented American motocross, the 125c.c. two-stroke race bike.

I happen to think that the 125 is the perfect motorcycle to begin to experience the joys of motocross. The small size of the engine and it's relatively low power output mean that the rest of the bike be made as small and light as possible. This results in a motorcycle that's almost fast enough to scare you, and agile enough to handle just about any turn you might encounter on a racetrack. 125's are not threatening motorcycles; they're like eager puppies, always ready to play. And yet, if you're serious about racing, learning how to go fast on a 125 will make it much easier for you to make the transition to bigger bikes.

With very few exceptions, all of the top American racers were masters of the 125 craft. And there is no doubt that Marty Smith and his Honda Elsinore 125 launched the popularity of professional motocross in this country (and if you DO doubt it, check out the MOTOCROSS FILES episode on Smith when it airs this fall on the Speed Channel). It takes a tremendous amount of skill and stamina to keep a fast 125 on the pipe and singing, and it’s a beautiful thing to watch a good 125 pilot do his or her thing, throttle wide open while dancing on the shifter.

The fact that you can actually turn a 125’s throttle to the stops and not panic is one of the most attractive things about the class. Since these bikes are rarely overpowering, they allow most riders to feel confident, which in turn makes the entire experience much more pleasant. Every motocrosser that has ever raced or ridden a 125 has happy memories of the old steed. My first (and only) 125 was a ’74 Honda, just like Marty Smith’s… it had a Webco head, gold anodized DG swingarm and an Al Baker fork kit (kind of like this one from the Vintage Factory website). After years on an XR75, it was my first “real” motorcycle, and I was completely in love with it. Slim, light, low to the ground and reliable as an anvil, it was all I could ask for… until I realized I needed more power to carry my 6’, 190lb. frame around (those really were the good old days!).

Today’s 125s are just the same, just with a little more… okay, a LOT more of everything: suspension, power, brakes, handling, looks and the all-important fun factor. I still believe that if a racer is truly serious about competing at the top levels, they need to learn how to go fast on a 125. The 250 four-strokes are great bikes, and many feel that they’re even more fun than their two-stoke counterparts. Marty Moates once told me his YZ250F provided the most fun he’s ever had on a bike (or words to that effect). I can see the point, and truthfully I wouldn’t know, since I have yet to ride one of the new-breed 250Fs. But my feeling is that the relatively wide powerbands of the little four-strokes make it too easy for the new racer. There’s no reason to maintain high corner speeds and momentum when racing a thumper, whereas the 125 insists that a rider learn how to flow, but in an aggressive fashion. I would hate to see American racers lose valuable racing skill because of the demise of the two-stroke.

So what I’m saying, really, is that I hope the manufacturers keep making ‘em, and I hope the motocross public keeps buying them, even if they’re not racing them. Because they are indeed great little bikes, and motocross wouldn’t be the same without the 125s.

1 comment:

Paul said...

bmf, that is an AWESOME "Mx Story"! That is motocross to the bone; sounds like you had a great thing going with your dad then.

Cool site, too. I'm definitely going to check out your music stuff. Here's a funny coincidence: although I live in California, I was at the 2005 Atlanta SX, too! What a great race, huh?