November 30, 2005

James Stewart News!

It's getting to be so one can tell the new racing season is approaching by the number of James Stewart profiles written by mainstream media outlets. I came across the latest from USA Today here, when I did a google search on our man Stewart. It's an okay article, with only a few hiccups, but that's to be expected from the mainstream (more interesting, though, was the article about Rick Carmichael's possible NASCAR aspirations in the same paper).

But the biggest news is that James is retiring old #259. For 2006 he will take lucky number 7 as his permanent number. As he explains in his newsletter (found here): "When Tony (Haynes) got hurt, I asked him if I could race with his number, and I promised I would take the 259 to the top. I stayed true to my promise and broke all of the 125 class records, won 4 national titles, and 3 250 Supercross main events with 259. I still value my friendship with Tony Haynes as much as ever, and I talked to him about me taking my own number from here on out."

Personally, I think it's an excellent choice, James, and you did Tony proud.

Next up: December 3rd!

No comments: