April 26, 2006

I'm Back!

Whoa. Where have I been? Well, I've been seriously ill the past two weeks or so, in so much pain that it was impossible to do any type of creative writing. But I'm much better now, so I'll get this puppy back on track.

I tell you what: during my time down I had ample opportunity to think about the difference between professional athletes and amateur/hobbyists, and the main difference is the fact that pros are paid to play when hurt or sick. Curled up in a fetal ball in my bed, I gave thought to what must have been going through Chad Reed's mind when he answered the call to race despite having a severely injured shoulder. I also thought about those races that James Stewart pulled out of last season, due to his "mystery" ailment. Pro athletes are a different breed.

No comments: