September 26, 2006

Bummer #2

No, "Bummer" is not the title of a "Sparkplug" replacement column... and yes, I know, I need to get going again and write more "Sparkplugs". And "Bummer #2" has absolutely NOTHING to do with Team USA's wonderful, record-setting win at this past weekend's Motocross des Nations in England. My hat is off to the FOUR members of our team, James Stewart, Ivan Tedesco and Ryan Villopoto (in alpha order, of course), for flying over there, staying cool and getting the job done on what looked like one of the worst rutted tracks I've seen in a while. That track was just nasty.

And big props go to Stefan Everts for going out with a 1-1 bang in what will most likely be his last MXdN. Sorry your team had to take silver, Stefan, but that's what we American's like to do: win!

But ultimately, this "Bummer" isn't about all that; it's about the fact that it's late September, the announcement for this year's "A Day In The Dirt" spectacular has just hit the internet, and I ... don't have a bike to ride in the race. Again. In fact, even if I DID have a bike, I don't have any boots. That is, my current pair of AXO RC5's are SHOT. I mean, WHIPPED.

What's a moto-loving guy to do?

A couple of years ago, Transworld Motocross editor Donn Maeda graciously lent me their '05 YZ 450F test bike and even paid for my entry fees for the race. I'm still astonished over his generosity with that. But he's been kinda "pissed" at me for sporting Racer X gear, so I don't dare ask him again. Besides... asking someone to lend you a bike so you can trash it in a couple of Grand Prix? How lame is that?

Uh, anybody else out there willing to lend me a ride? Damn, I'm lame! But you know what? The race is SO MUCH FUN, it's worth it. So if you have a bike and can get to Southern California for the Thanksgiving weekend, you owe it to yourself to join in the fun. It's a great time with great people!

No comments: