January 06, 2006

Sparkplug 35

And now, in honor of the beginning of the great American stadium motocross championship series, better known now as the Amp'd AMA Supercross series or something like that... here is my pick for the title winner:

James Stewart, Jr.

Now, for the few of my readers that actually know me, my prediction should come as no surprise. After all, I erroneously predicted that James would win both indoors and outdoors in 2005. To the uninitiated it may seem that I have “Stewart Syndrome” or a “Bubba Bias”, even though it is not true, and he no longer wishes to be called by that nickname. I have actually come to my conclusion using solid evidence. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have proof that what I am foreseeing will actually come true.

What is this proof? Well, it consists of a number of things:
– Stewart's performance in Canada certainly tells us a story. One simple fact of that story that has been overlooked is that James took his KX450F to a major win in its maiden voyage. That says something about both James speed AND his steed. Two wins in Canada might not mean anything, points wise, for the American championship, but it certainly indicates that Kawasaki has provided James with a potent tool for the job.

– Stewart's performance at the Anaheim press conference appeared to strengthen the storyline started up North. He sounded relaxed and confident yet modest, and he gave every indication that he has changed from a “win every race” strategy to a “win the battle not the war” approach.

– Finally, Rick Johnson said so! Well not in so many words, but during his Wednesday night appearance on must-listen DMXS radio, the ex-Bad Boy noted that the fourstroke seems to force James to ride in a more relaxed style, and it apparently works for him, judging by his wins in Canuck-land.

So I'm picking James to win all the supercross marbles this year. But I am in no way suggesting that this will be an easy title for him or a boring season. I think Rick Carmichael will take James to the wire this season, with the championship being determined at the very last round in Las Vegas. And I also believe that Chad Reed will be surprised by a very strong challenge for third overall by the newest entry to the class, Ivan “just get the Tabasco sponsorship, dammit” Tedesco. Yep, you heard it here first.

Remember, I like Speedy Reedy a lot, and I think he will win a round or two this year. But I also think that Tedesco will get on the podium more than once, warming Roger Decoster's heart while giving Chad heartburn.

As for the rest of the field, I think we will see standout performances by Tim Ferry this year, as I do believe (and hope) he'll have a small chip on his shoulder for being kicked out of the factory circle. We'll see. And we'll also see how all-around good guy David Vuillemin gets around on that Honda oil burner. DV may make a podium, but I don't think he has a win in him this year. Finally, I cannot forget Michael Byrne. I don't know if Burner will be on the Kawi thumper, but if he is I am sure it will only help him go even faster. He may end up challenging Ivan for fourth overall.

So those are my picks for '06. And here they are again, in easy to swallow table form:

1) James Stewart
2) Rick Carmichael
3) Chad Reed
4) Ivan Tabasco
5) Michael Byrne

See you at A1!

No comments: