July 14, 2006

Sparkplug 54

It's the halfway point for the outdoor motocross season, and that means one thing: who the heck is going to represent the United States at the Motocross of Nations? However, this week's Sparkplug isn't about speculating on the participants, but instead, questioning the value of participation in itself: why is the Motocross of Nations important? And if it's so important, why is funding an issue?

Over at Racer X Illustrated, my good friend Davey Coombs pretty much singlehandedly coined the phrase “Because Team USA still matters!” or words to that effect. So maybe I should ask him directly, but instead I'm asking you: why? Why and in what way does it matter if three of the top American racers compete in a race with racers that they intentionally snub the rest of the year. Seriously, while the average American motocross fan loves racing no matter what continent the races are held on, how many U.S. fans really care about the racing series that take place outside our borders? Or maybe the word I'm looking for is respect: how many American MX fans respect, say, the Belgium national motocross championships or Great Britain's national series? I would venture a guess that the percentage is pretty low.

Or maybe it's just my own personal bias? This blog that you're reading claims to be about “All Things Motocross”, but it's really only about American Motocross. I intentionally do not discuss the World Championship or racing in other countries because I am personally not that interested. Don't get me wrong; I have a ton of respect for the riders contesting the MX1, 2 and 3 classes, and I look forward to the day when I can personally visit and ride tracks in other countries. But I just don't follow the current World series like I follow the American championships. I mean, when I was growing up, I recognized, along with most of my motocross-loving peers, that the World Championships... better known as the Grand Prix... as the pinnacle of the sport. That was back in those days before Brad Lackey broke through to become America's first World Champion, and well before the 13-year win streak that Team USA accomplished at the Motocross of Nations. Since that time, though, America has indisputably become the home of the most competitive and lucrative motocross series in the world. No longer do the world's best riders seek their fame and fortune on the World Championship circuit; they seek to land rides in the American Supercross and Outdoor series. That's a fact, Jack (with the noted exception of the incredible Stefan Everts).

So, really, what difference does a one-day, one-off race featuring top riders from all of the motocross-racing countries of the world really make? Yes, it answers the question of who is the absolutely fastest rider on that particular track, on that particular day. So what? A series of races is a better judge of talent than a single race; that's why the championships are series.

Some will say that what “matters” is that sense of national pride that comes from seeing “our team” beat the world. And you know what? I have felt that pride. I felt it last year when Team USA won the event; I felt it in 2000 when we won it, and I felt it every time we won it before that. You hear the American racers talking about what it's like to ride “for their country” and the pride they feel. But all of this makes me ask the question: why don't they “ride for our country” the rest of the year? Why just settle for an American championship, why not go out and win a World Championship? That way we fans can feel that “national pride” all year long as well. I mean, if Team USA really matters, why does it only matter for a single Sunday in the Fall?

Am I sensing a double standard here?

To my mind, it gets even worse. This year, the AMA has allowed, for the first time, the average American motocross fan to nominate and vote for the members of Team USA... the catch is that in order to vote, one must make a $5 donation to the Team. Now, before you go calling me a cheap, unpatriotic bastard, know that I donated to several Teams in the past, by buying the souvenir t-shirts they usually offer. I actually own one of the “Mike Brown” shirts from last year (okay, so I'm still cheap). But the “charity/vote” drive gives me pause; I'm ecstatic that the AMA is involving the fans, but I'm a little miffed that they have to pay for the privilege. It really gets my goat that the fans have to chip in to send the GOAT over to kick ass. If Team USA really “matters”, why is financing the team such a challenge every year? Can you even imagine the AMA asking for donations so they could run the season-opening race at Hangtown?

The Motocross of Nations is an interesting animal from a profit-motive standpoint. The only people who stand to make any money are the promoters and the sanctioning body, along with the on-site vendors and the local hospitality industry. For the teams and riders that participate, it's all about spending money, not making it. But the truth is, that's how every motocross race works. The U.S.-based Japanese OEM teams say that the MXoN does not fit in their yearly race schedules and budgets, because it does not provide the same promotional opportunities and visibility to the American market that SX and MX do. American Honda, for example, is concerned only with promoting motocross within the borders of this country; Honda Europe can spend their budget on that continent. But, Good Lord, isn't it better for the sport WORLDWIDE if the best riders in the world participate in the Motocross of Nations? And since we've already established that the best riders are from America, that means American Honda (or the team backing whoever is selected) needs to step up to the plate. And foot the damn bill.

In all fairness, Honda has indeed shouldered at least part of the cost on many occasions. And, as always, hats off to Roger DeCoster for putting in the extra effort to promote and prepare Team USA.
But in this era of racers owning sprawling ranches, custom Rolex watches and exotic cars, it's kind of hard for me to accept the idea that they need my $5 to fly overseas for a one-day race. I mean, if it matters, REALLY matters, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

National pride is another issue altogether. It's my feeling that our world is in a rather precarious state right now, and the decent citizens of the world need to find ways to share our common experiences and celebrate them. The idea of holding an event in which people from all over the globe can gather to enjoy the sport they all love is fantastic, and to me, the emphasis on winning is misplaced. I still believe that what REALLY matters is not whether we win or lose, but how we play the game. And I believe most motocrossers feel the same way. Think about it: at your average weekend MX race, there are only a couple dozen people who win their races, while the vast majority do not. Yet ALL of them go away still just as much in love with the sport as ever. In motocross, winning is definitely not the only thing. For the Motocross of Nations, what really “matters” about Team USA is not that they win, but that they simply show up and participate. And show the world how we do it over here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome take on that subject. I've felt that way for a long time. You put it just right.

Teresita said...

I'd like to link to your webpage but don't know how. I do have you on my Google desktop. My blogsite is "This Is Nuts." My sons don't race, but they ride dirt-bikes down in Arizona. I watch all the MX and SBK races I can. I enjoy your writing.

Teresita said...

I have sons that ride dirt-bikes down near Phoenix. I'd like to put you as a link but don't know how. My name is Teresita (Terry).

Paul said...

Honey bear, go to Blogger's help page; there's a section called "How do I edit my links?" that should help... I think!