August 06, 2005

The X Games Suck

I'm sorry if I'm hurting any feelings here, but after watching Thursday night's live coverage of the "Motocross" Big Trick competition, this is simply my conclusion: The X Games Suck.

How else to explain why Twitch won gold over my man Travis Pastrana? Twitch threw a no-footer backflip to one hander; Pastrana threw down a saran wrap backflip to NO hander... how did that score less? And to top it off, Pastrana's first run was a failed backflip BARSPIN using a custom fork (unfortunately, the fork broke off; check out the press release at Racer X Online). I understand that the fiasco put Travis behind in points, but he was robbed on his second jump.

And how about that clown Carothers? Last year he was the X Games cinderella man, winning the gold by pulling off the body varial, or "Carolla" as he later named it. One year later, you'd think he would have practiced that trick until he could do it in his sleep... that's the way the top dogs in FMX roll. But no, Chuck rode as if he hadn't turned a wheel in practice since the last X Games, and his aborted attempt in his first run and his spectacular crash in his second confirmed this. WTF?

I haven't checked out the Games since Thursday, and I have to admit that I am plain JEALOUS that they're able to get prime time coverage for these "sports". I will probably check out the madness that they've turned Supermoto into... friggin' pitstops?... just because I like bikes. But I've come to disrespect the X Games.

No comments: