May 05, 2006

Sparkplug 47

Well, it's the Friday before the Greatest Supercross Show on Earth commences in Las Vegas, and it's about damn time that I got back to writing Sparkplugs, doncha think? Since our great sport is on the verge of crowning two champions in an unprecedented winner-take-all finale, you would think that this week's topic would be all about this big race. But really, what can I say that hasn't already been said by writers better than I? I mean, check out my man Jason Weigandt's blog, or check out Andy Bowyer's excellent “Rev Up”. Or read what my internet hero Steve Giberson over at TWMX has to say. Even former Supercross champ and all around motocross hero Jeff Emig weighed in over at Racer X Online. So I'm going to leave all the speculation and pontification to the pros.

But I will say this: I predicted that James Stewart would win the title this season in Sparkplug 35, where I said: “I think Rick Carmichael will take James to the wire this season, with the championship being determined at the very last round in Las Vegas.” I was actually expecting a mechanical to finally hit uber-champion Rick Carmichael. Well, I got the breakdown part right when RC's shock gave up the ghost in St. Louis... now, if either RC or Chad Reed fail to finish second to James, the talented Mr. Stewart will win both the AMA Supercross title and the FIM World Supercross crown. And then I'll say “I told you so...” Until then, not another word from me...!

So this week's topic is about something entirely different: the concept of racers “giving back to the sport.” For some fans, that is the mark of a “true” champion... that they not only win decisively, and win graciously, but they also take up some other extra-curricular activity to bring even more value to the sport.

The shining example of this would have to be the great Jeremy McGrath. “Showtime” is known and revered not only for his complete and utter domination of supercross in the late '90's, but also for changing the sport itself for the better. Jeremy is known for introducing the “bmx” style of riding, in which the rider “pre-jumps” the jumps in order to fly lower and return to the track faster. This style allows the rider to accelerate down the landing ramps of jumps, increasing their speed and dropping their lap times. McGrath used this technique to absolutely annihilate his competition, and a thousand young racers adopted the method with much success. It's standard supercross racing technique now.

I also believe that McGrath had a hand in the standardization of supercross tracks. The way the tracks are built now, each obstacle has consistent measurements and angles from track to track. Triples are always a certain distance, with the takeoff and landing ramps always having the same angle and height. This was no accident, and I could be wrong (as I have no proof whatsover), but I suspect that McGrath worked with the promoters and the track builders to nail down some consistency in track design. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

There's no doubt that Jeremy changed the atmosphere in the pits. No rider before his time enjoyed the massive fan popularity that MC has. Even during his “part-time” seasons, he had some of the longest autograph lines.

But Jeremy went even further. He was the first to prove the concept of a rider running his own factory-backed team was possible, when he teamed up with Chapparal and Mazda. He brought in major outside sponsorship with the aforementioned Mazda, as well as MCI's 1-800-Collect and Bud Light. He was the first racer to own part of a major gear manufacturer in No Fear. He even promoted his own race, the Summercross that was held in the fabled L.A. Coliseum (and he's promoting another one this winter, the McGrath Invitational).

And let's not forget his invaluable contribution to the birth of freestyle, the Nac Nac.

Truth be told, Jeremy's contributions to the sport, both on the track and off, are numerous, and this article is not just about him, so I'll leave it to you to fill in the rest of MC's accomplishments. But who else has “given” to this sport we love?

I think it's safe to say that David Bailey has given of himself, not only with his riding schools and coaching of up-and-coming pros, but with his contributions from the broadcast booth. I believe DB has been one of our greatest television personalities, and I hope someone can talk him back into the booth someday.

Roger DeCoster is an obvious choice, as well. Here's a guy who could have retired years ago after his extremely successful racing career, but by taking the reigns at Team Honda and now Team Suzuki, he has advanced the cause of American motocross in an immeasurable way. Not to mention the fact that he has coached and managed nearly ALL of our Motocross des Nations teams, even leading them to victory against his own home nation of Belgium. I love RD.

There are other riders that have done well by motocross, and I don't mean to dis them by not mentioning them here. But I am truly perplexed when I hear some people say that the current crop of racers have not done their part, have not “given anything back to the sport.” Like, what has Kevin Windham done for the sport; what has Mike Larocco done for the sport; how has Rick Carmichael given back to the sport?

Here's my thinking: all a racer has to give is his or her best effort. That's all they “have” to give to the sport. I believe that's true for any professional sport. Do what you're paid to do to the best of your ability. Leave it all on the track or on the playing field, and the fans have NO RIGHT to ask for anything else.

I also think it's preposterous to assert that someone like RC hasn't “given” anything to this sport. Representing us at the MXdN last year, in my mind, qualifies as a great act of giving. Setting the bar so high that it may never be topped, by doing what it takes to accomplish not one, but TWO perfect seasons... that's giving, in my book. Is it on the same level as the stuff that McGrath has done for supercross. No, but the comparison is inappropriate. You can only give what you have, and Jeremy was and is gifted with a lot of fan appeal and personality. Rick is gifted with an unmatched level of drive and determination, and so his “gift” to us fans is his numerous record book entries.

And here's the biggest thing: I believe that racers are in a better position to “give” back to the sport AFTER their racing days are over, like Bailey and DeCoster have. So it's much too soon to come down on our racers about not “giving”. Give them some time.

End of rant. Now, ARE YOU READY FOR SOME SUPERCROSSSSSSSSSS!

And one more thing: GO JAMES!

No comments: