May 12, 2005

Motocross in Paradise

I really didn’t know what to expect, unfamiliar as I was with the Hawaiian countryside. I only knew that I had passed Sunset Beach and the track was, according to the website, about a mile east of that world famous surf destination. So I stopped at a gas station for directions, not even sure if they could help.

“Excuse me, do you know where the motocross track is?”
“Yeah, it’s just up the road,” the young woman behind the counter said. “Turn at the yellow sign.”

Five minutes later and I was making that turn, just as a couple of pickup trucks with bikes-in-back were pulling out. Suddenly I found myself piloting a late model Cadillac sedan up a steep and twisting fireroad, and I strangely felt at home. I was definitely on the road to a motocross track, no question about it.

I started getting excited about this adventure many miles before I found the place. Once the highway climbed out of Central Oahu and I started seeing countryside, it was like I was in a different land altogether. The highway eventually shrank to two-lane, and I swear there was a moment when, cresting a hill, I felt my jaw go slack as I was presented with one of the most inspiring views of the Pacific Ocean I have seen to date. Considering what I’ve seen so far on this trip, that’s really saying a lot.

Everyone knows the water around Hawaii is fantastic; even still, it was great seeing those perfect blue tubes as I drove past Sunset. But for the motocross enthusiast in me, it was the dirt that really got my juices flowing. Dark brown, the color and consistency of that chocolate powder you add to your cappafrappacinolatte at Starbucks. I couldn’t wait to see the track!

The entrance road was like a tunnel of trees, and occasionally there were glimpses of the sea below. It was late in the afternoon, and there weren’t many riders left. The first guy I talked to said “How do you like our dustbowl?” I hadn’t even noticed the dust, so caught up in the beauty of the surroundings was I. See? The dirt is always better on the other guy’s track…

The Kahuku Motocross track is set on a the top of a hill. You can see the ocean from the pits. The track winds downhill and up, through beautiful evergreen trees. It made me think of the beautiful track at Mammoth Lakes, California.

The only downside of the track is the fact that is has no watering system at all. None. Not even water trucks. So how do they deal with the dust issue. Vet expert Michael Aiwohi explained to me that they change the layout on a regular basis, so that the dust can re-settle after a weekend of practice and racing. Pretty novel approach, I have to admit.

I walked around a bit and took a few pictures of the layout, but track pics need riders in them to provide the proper perspective. Luckily for me, Aiwohi and some other riders took to the course and all of a sudden I felt like super motophotographer Simon Cudby… too bad my little digital camera wasn’t up to the task. There was a pretty big double in the infield section, maybe 75 – 80 feet long, that Aiwohi and another fast guy, Alex Pada, were clearing with ease and style. Once I finally figured out the shutter delay on my camera, I was able catch them going over it.

Aiwohi later told me about a rhythm section down in the woods, so I took a short hike through some mystical-looking trees to get to it. Minutes later, I was able to catch Pada scrubbing over the small double, which led to a tabletop. While I was there, a couple of mini kids rode over to see what I was doing. When I told them I was taking pics for my website, they agreed to do a synchronized pass over the small double jump. Jason Towne, on his KX 85 and Jayce Aiwohi, Michael’s son, on his CR 85, flew through the air for my camera. Once again, I wish it was a better picture, but still, I was impressed with the ease and confidence that these kids rode with.

If anybody reading this knows the Aiwohi’s or Alex Pada, please pass this website's url along to them; I gave them the wrong url by mistake!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I race at this track and yah I will tell Mike and Alex them about the url...k den bye...

BRITTANY CORREIA

Paul said...

Mahalo!