June 16, 2005

Open Letter To James Stewart, Jr.

Hey man, I’m going to cut to the chase here: don’t let the naysayers get you down.

Yeah, it may have been a rough week, especially if you paid any attention at all to the internet hype machine. Everybody’s dissing you for being a “quitter”. Even your boy RC slung some stuff your way. And you know the truth: no one knows what’s going on with you, but YOU. And that’s cool, except now we don’t know what to think.

Yep, you’ve been a hero to many. No one questions your speed or your ability to ride a motorcycle. But some are starting to question your HEART. Me? I laugh at those fools. I know it took a lot of heart to get to where you are today, and I don’t think you’ve lost any of it. But people, being what they are, will talk anyway. David Pingree said something along the lines of you quitting in frustration ‘cause you’re not used to losing. James, don’t worry, I’m not buying that one either. I know that you’ve got your eyes on a bigger prize than a single moto win… you want to be champion! Of course, that REALLY calls in question your decision to not even ride the second moto at Southwick, leaving so many points on the table.

See, that was such a shocking decision, I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that the only possible reason you would do such a thing had to do with your health. I am convinced that you felt it was in your best interest, health-wise, to write off the moto, and for all intents and purposes, the 2005 title as well. That being the case, I wish you the best and hope that whatever you’re going through heals quickly and fully.

My only problem, James, is that I could be wrong. I was wrong about Kobe Bryant; I believed his “good guy” image and simply did not believe that he had sex with that girl. When Kobe admitted that he DID, I realized that I could be fooled by my heroes’ images.

I’m hoping that I’m not being fooled by yours.

Good luck in Budds Creek this weekend… that’s a great track to shut ‘em all done and prove the naysayers wrong.

No comments: