June 10, 2005

Sparkplug #7

The very first time I saw Mike Alessi race was at Glen Helen in 2000 (?). They held a 85cc exhibition race between the first and second motos, and although the small turnout was packed with some very fast mini racers, little Mike was clearly the class of the field. That year was the first year that the circuit included Yamaha Hill, a terrifying, near vertical grade that is both steeper and taller than even Glen Helen's famed Mt. St. helen ascent. The promoters unwisely chose to let the mini's run the full course for three laps. I say “unwisely” because Yamaha Hill proved to be an insurmountable obstacle for more than a few of the riders, as they stalled or looped out while struggling up the incline. Alessi, however, climbed the hill with ease every lap. It was an impressive performance.

A few years later, I saw both of the Alessis at a local race at Los Angeles County Raceway. My class was staging behind the mini class, and I was right behind Mike and his little brother Jeff. By then, I had a chance to read a lot of stories about the Alessi clan, many of them negative. It seemed that everyone that followed motocross held an opinion about Tony Alessi and his very quick sons, and I was curious to know what they were really like. So I watched them with interest while they waited for their moto to begin. And you know what? They acted just like normal kids.

It was kind of funny, watching them just be two brothers on minibikes, about to go kick some ass. Jeff was loose and sort of goofing around, while Mike seemed a little more focused, if not slightly bored with the whole thing. There was a light turnout, and there was really no competition there for them that day. In fact, it was pretty clear, by the body language of their support crew, that they were just there to get a workout, get some motos under their belt. Still, the team maintained a clean, professional appearance, and when the checkered flag dropped, Mike and Jeff had put their Hondas on the podium... the only Honda minis in the race.

Later that day I ran into the Alessis again, this time at a local sandwich shop on the way home. Once again, I watched with interest to see if I could get some insight as to why there were so many bad stories about them, maybe catch some primadonna 'tude escaping. And again, they were just like any other family, just another Dad buying lunch for his boys. Normal.

But the truth is that no, they're not normal. They have been under the microscope of the motocrossing public for years now, their every move dissected, studied, discussed and second-guessed. And while this non-stop scrutiny may have resulted in some nasty gossip and a few tales that won't die, to his credit Tony never let it stop them from achieving what they set out to do. Look at them now: Mike has just won his first outdoor national and is a solid contender for the title; Jeff is competing in the premier class, qualifying for the show each week and gaining invaluable experience. The Alessis have it made in the shade, and I ain't mad at them!

I just put myself in their shoes... if I were a young kid, I would certainly want a father like Tony, someone who believed in me and did everything he could to put in in the best situation possible for my racing career. And if I had two young sons that wanted to race, there's no question that I would do all that I could to provide them with the resources needed to succeed. The Alessis are a picture of the perfect motocross family success story; it's as simple as that.

For this upcoming weekend, I predict that Mike is going to use what he learned at last weekend's Southwick warm up race to take the overall victory in the National. And when the circuit hits Budds Creek, I expect that Mike will take both the overall win and the series points lead, just so he can give Tony a father's day present he won't soon forget.

No comments: